Tuesday, September 4, 2012

first day of school.

Well, I did it. I completed my first, I would say successful, day of teaching kids english. Today I had 4 classes of english conversation with grades 3-6. To clarify: I am not teaching the kids english grammer, more so getting them to speak english and learn vocabulary. I planned my lesson, naming it: get to know you. Basically I told the kids about myself, showing them pictures of me, family, friends, and hobbies. They seemed to really enjoy that. I then asked if they had any questions for me. They always said no, until I pulled out a handful of candy and explained that for every question they asked they would receive a piece of candy. Hands flew into the air. I came prepared.

I must say I was a little nervous for the lessons. I have a little experience teaching but not much and not with a language barrier. So I prepared my lesson to the best of my ability and prayed that everything would go smoothly. I was not the only one in the classroom who was anxious about the lesson. When the kids were told that I was their conversation teacher and I only spoke English, their eyes widened, mouths dropped, and what I took as 'oh my's' echoed the room. They showed what I was feeling inside. This also was a bit of a relief and made me laugh (on the inside). Thankful each class had at least one student who could translate for students and was a great help. After four lessons of 45 min teach I was exhausted. So, props to you teachers! On thursday I have three more lessons with middle school aged kids.

Thank you for all your prayers and support! I feel it. God is teaching me a lot. He has given my courage to walk into those classrooms and act like I know what I am doing. :)

Front of the School

Play area in the back of the school

1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear what you are up to Hannah! Keep walking in His ways, it is an exciting journey to be His Child.
    ~Lynel

    ReplyDelete