Saturday, September 15, 2012

tid bits.

I have almost been here 3 week, 2 weeks of teaching under my belt. And my life is beginning to get busier, which I enjoy. Many people have asked me what I am actually doing through out my week so I thought I would share: Tuesdays and thursdays I teach at arka schools, thursdays I also have YFC meeting and bible study, I will have 2 private english lessons a week, and one lesson where we swap english and polish. And through out the week I do projects or tasks for CEP, like updating websites and such. I'm continuing to fill up my schedule.

I have successfully taken the bus to the center and back, and to Arka schools and back. I am learning the bus stops and routes. Once I conquer that I will move onto the tram system.

The second week of school was a little bit harder then the first. The kids were over the new and exciting stage and realized that I will actual make them work and speak english. I'm trying to learn each classes language ability and plan lessons accordingly. It's a process, for sure. The skill of teaching does not come naturally, especially to kids who do not speak much english. But I do enjoy getting to know the kids. One day before classes last week, a women in the office was teaching me simple polish phrases like, 'I don't speak polish', 'I am from..', and 'My name is...' I decided to practice my new vocab, so my first class (which are 8/9 year olds) I proudly share with them my new sentences. They had no idea what I was saying. I tried again. They shook their heads no. That was the last time I tried my polish in the classroom that day. I will try again another day. :)

Ilona, is a girl my age who is also living in the house as I am and the other day she decided we should have a spelling contest. Well, for those of you who know me well enough know that spelling is not a strength of mine. But I agreed to the game. Ilona is from Ukraine and speaks 5 languages, she is studying english in college. She schooled me at my native language. We laughed. So, now I am learning Polish and more about the english language. Haha.

I have been able to enjoy the park near the house. Sometimes I run, others I walk. Both do me good. It is a good chance to reflect on life here and spend some time talking to God. And lately I have been praying that God will show me why in the world I am here and what he is going to do with me here. Through my daily tasks and beyond that.

Looking forward to another week and all the adventures it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment